- Discover Madrid
- To see and do
- For you
- Plan your Trip
What are you looking for in Madrid?
Weather in Madrid
Our Region boasts a unique historical and artistic heritage that you shouldn't miss . Here we present a selection of eight essential landmarks that evoke the beauty in days of old. Some of them are hideouts with a history that marked their time and seven of them make part of the Spanish National Heritage. Enjoy your visit!
The Region of Madrid has a unique artistic and cultural heritage, which has been created over the centuries to form a legacy, and delight the visitors. You will discover our selection of these emblematic sites.
1. The Royal Site of San Lorenzo de El Escorial was built during the XVI century under the reign of King, Felipe II. Designed by the renaissance architect Juan Bautista de Toledo, disciple of Michelangelo and finalized by Juan de Herrera. This building combines the cultural and ideological aspirations of the Spanish Golden age. Discover during this august its halls, library or its gardens, that justify a visit to the legacy town declared Humanity Heritage by the UNESCO.
2. The Royal Monastery La Encarnación< a model of the Madrilenian style of the Austrians. It was built thanks to the support of the Consort Queen Margarita de Austria-Estiria, wife of the King Felipe III. In the convent stands out the church with its interesting façade of granite, above the portico you will discover two noble crests and a low relief that represents the Annunciation stop to discover it. Inside stands out the soberly decoration, work of Ventura Rodríguez, with luxury jaspers, marbles and bronzes work of the artists Vicente Carducho, Francisco Bayeu and the two brothers González Velázquez.
3. The Pantheon of Illustrious Men, inside the cloisters of the new Basilica of Atocha, presents the traditional style of the constitutional regimes of the XIX century, which was developed following the English model of Westminster.
4. The Monastery of las Descalzas Reales, commissioned by Joanna of Austria, princess of Portugal, sister of the king Philip II of Spain during the year 1559. In the monastery stands out the church on the whole and more than 10.000 thousand art pieces that you will discover inside, which worth to be visited. Neither misses the fresco painting of the stairs and the Chapel of Milagro or the tapestries knitted in Brussels from cartoons by Rubens representing the Apotheosis of the Eucharist Series.
5. The Royal Palace of Aranjuez shows a perfect construction integrated to its natural environment, which was the summer residence of the kings. The palace owes its architecture to Juan Bautista de Toledo and Juan de Herrera. Immerse you in its endless garden and enjoy a pleasant day.
6. The Royal Palace of El Pardo and discover the summer residence of the houses of Austrian and Bourbon. Inside, there are conserving cloths, portraits and grand value objects that were collected among the centuries. Go for a walk in its traditional Spanish gardens and go back to the court age.
7. The Real Jardín Botánico (Royal Botanic Garden) offers you a site in the heart of Madrid where you will enjoy nature and calm. It was founded in 1775 by the king Ferdinand VI. Currently you will discover more than 6000 living species, a paradise of the botanic diversity in Europe. The possibilities of this refuge of peace and tranquility are numerous: unique places, the quintessentially Mediterranean Garden or including some plants that require a special care in greenhouses. Do not lose more the opportunity to delight, with the magic of the flowers.
8. Finally, you cannot miss the Royal Palace of Madrid, the first stone was put in 1738 mandated by the king Philip V of Spain, and the king Charles III of Spain, who invited all the masters of the Spanish painting, to decorate with fresco paintings the different halls of the palace, continuously habited it. You will enjoy the weapons and armours collection that is hosted in the Royal Armoury, which is one of the most varied in Europe. To end your day, go for a walk in the gardens stylised in the way, known as Campo del Moro Garden.
Do not wait more to discover these exceptional sites, which are not only part of our capital history but of all of Spain.