- Discover Madrid
- To see and do
- For you
- Plan your Trip
What are you looking for in Madrid?
Weather in Madrid
Fortresses, castles, watchtowers, a trip to the past of the Region of Madrid to understand its history. The tourism program 'Network of Castles in the Region of Madrid' offers all this. So, if you enjoy cultural tourism in contact with nature, you will love this plan...
This is a different plan, the friends of the story, will evoke the atmosphere of the Middle Ages with a visit to places of interest which are contained in the tourist guide Castles of Madrid, which are nestled in natural places of great beauty and that for its antiquity could be classified into three historical stages, that include: the first fortified buildings that date back to the Andalusian period (centuries VIII to the XI), the fortifications of Castilian repopulation (centuries XII to XIV), and from the seigniorial period, fortresses in transit to the Modern Age (centuries XV to XVI).
In this first phase of implementation of this initiative for the promotion and dissemination of this historical heritage, you can visit the following places:
• Fortification of the military chief of Castile in San Martín de Valdeiglésias (1434) that follows the fortified seigneurial model residence of the time.
• Duke of Infantado Castle in Manzanares el Real (1475), considered a medieval architectural jewel of the Kingdom of Castile.
• Gonzalo Chacón Castle in Arroyomolinos (1478), typical unique example of fortification of the fifteenth century, that proliferates in those days.
• Zapata Castle, Counts of Barajas, in the Alameda de Osuna (1475), built by the Count of Barajas as recreational property.
• Fortresses of the Faith in Villarejo de Salvanés (centuries XIV to XVI), born to protect the eastern flank of Toledo, near the Tagus River.
• And finally the walled enclosure and Mendoza Castle of Buitrago del Lozoya (Siglos XII al XIV), built with traditional Andalusian techniques to protect the town.
In a second phase, will be included the castles of Santorcaz and Chinchon, walled enclosures of Talamanca, Torrelaguna, watchtower of Torrelodones and medieval garden of Manzanares El Real.
As part of the attractions that already has visiting these sites, we have to highlight the Concert Series in the Castles of Madrid in its first edition, that take place within the program of the Festival of the Region of Madrid 'Clásicos en Verano' as well as activities during the fall.
Learn more: Castles Guide of Madrid